Monday, July 7, 2008

Lunch Club – Singapore Chicken Curry & Roti Paratha

I try to write about Lunch Club soon after we’ve finished lunch but last Thursday was just crazy. I didn’t find the time to do so as I had to complete some other tasks because I had to go on leave the following day. It school holidays, you see, in our part of the world. And I promise my children that I would take them out at least one weekday during their break.

Anyway, Thursday is my turn to cook. Being pressed for time and all I had to come up with some quick and tasty. I have prepared this meal once before for Lunch Club and it was a hit. The amount of effort was not an indicator of how the meal turned out.


Roti Paratha fresh out of the packet

So, on Thursday we had Singapore Chicken Curry served with Roti Paratha and/or Jasmine Rice. My friend from the Lion City has graciously provided the curry paste freshly flew in from Singapore. I have to find out where I can get this in the land down under as it will run out pretty soon. I am not heading to Singapore anytime soon to top up my supply.

Singapore Chicken Curry, Roti Paratha and the ever present cucumber salad


Here’s the recipe:

Singapore Chicken Curry

2-3 Desiree potatoes (one potato cut in 4)
3 pieces Chicken breast cut up in large pieces
2 tablespoons Singapore curry paste
1 can Coconut cream (or coconut milk if you prefer a lighter sauce)
Salt to taste
Oil whatever you prefer

Mix the curry paste and the chicken and leave for at least half an hour. While waiting fry the potatoes then set aside. Put a bit of oil in a pan and fry the chicken pieces then set aside. Remove the oil then put back the chicken pieces. Add the coconut cream. Wait for it to boil then add the fried potatoes. Let is simmer for 10-15 minutes. Voila! Best served hot on top of steaming jasmine rice or with roti paratha.

No comments: