We’re now about 34 weeks in the pregnancy. And we recently found out the Cherry is a bit anaemic. She’s now taking iron supplements (and will for the duration of the pregnancy) but we’ve also been advised to eat more red meat. That’s not so hard!
The recipe below does not have a lot of ingredients and is also pretty quick to make (as with most stir fries). And the added bonus, you get a double hit of iron! So, eat up!
Beef w/ Gai Lan (aka Beef w/ Chinese Broccoli)
500g rump steak cut into stir fry pieces
1 bunch gai lan
1 teaspoon ginger
1 clove garlic chopped
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
A bit of oil
¼ cup stock or water
- Marinate the beef using 1 tablespoon of the oyster sauce and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce
- Prepare the gai lan by cutting the vegetable in half separating the stalks from the leaves.
- Heat up the wok in high heat. Add a bit of oil. Stir fry the beef in batches to avoid steaming the meat. Set aside the stir fried beef.
- Add a bit more oil to the same wok. Stir fry the ginger and the garlic for about a minute.
- Add the stalk part of the vegetable and stir fry for about 2 minutes. Add a bit of stock/water.
- Add the beef back in and stir fry for another minute.
- Add the leaf part of the gai lan together with the remaining sauces and stir fry until the gai lan has wilted.
- Serve with steaming hot jasmine rice.