Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The lost art...of cooking

I’ve read an interesting article (A Fat Society of Able Cooks by Jane Fynes-Clinton) in the Courier Mail a few days ago discussing the lost art (the author calls it a “skill” but I prefer “art”) of cooking. The author also highlighted Jamie Oliver’s crusade to change society’s attitude towards food. Jamie Oliver recently launched a book in conjunction with a new TV series called Ministry of Food. In the show, he laments what he calls a new form of poverty caused by a generation that lacks the basic life skills to feed their families”.

The other remarkable point the article made (that I totally agree with) is how there are “increasing number of people who don't know how to cook at all - and many are loud and proud of it.” I’m sure all of us have met these people. Lacking the skill to cook is a disability in my book but for some it is a badge of honour.

Please follow the link and do not be shy with your comments.

No comments: