Thursday, October 2, 2008

Fusions Italian Ristorante - Singleton, NSW

Entree: Spaghetti Marinara

Home made spaghetti with prawns, calamari, fish, scallops and mussels

Main: Angus Fillet and Jumbo Gulf Prawns

250g char-grilled Angus fillet (medium rare) with giant prawns in their shell, mash, garlic butter sauce

Wine: Melville Hill Cabernet Merlot

Whenever oyster is available on the menu it would be my first choice as entrée. I still found it tempting. But after consuming more than 3 dozen of these bivalve molluscs just a few days ago I decided to go a different direction.

There was a wide selection of pastas on the menu that were also offered as entrées. And since I feel like seafood there’s no better option than the spaghetti marinara. I was quite surprised when my order arrived as the plate it came in was just as big as the “mains” plate (not that I’m complaining).

The calamari and scallops mentioned on the menu were noticeably absent from my plate. Also, it seemed the chef was a bit too generous with the salt tonight. But I overlooked all these flaws as the whole dish was actually good. The seafood tasted of the sea (and not of the fish market). Fresh tomatoes were obviously used (as opposed to bottled or canned passata di pomodoro). It tasted much better than the last time I had it in the same restaurant.

After the pasta I soldiered on with my main! The steak was done just as I ordered (medium). In fact, it was the most perfect steak I’ve had in a restaurant for a long time. The vegetables that came with it enhanced the already exceptional meal. The caramelised carrot batons that came with it were terrific!

No comments: