Monday, September 1, 2008

Lunch Club – Spaghetti Arrabiata ala kidpawan

And then it was my turn to cook something light…


For lunch I served my version of Pasta Arrabiata. The classic Italian way according to my Italian friend is much much simpler than my recipe. Arrabiata, according to him means aggravated. It’s simply chillies (the “aggravated” bit of the dish) and olive oil plus some basil or parsley. If I did it the traditional way mine would have been the lightest dish of the week. But I had other plans.

And thanks to living in a “free” a country, I can do mine in whatever way I like and still call it Arrabiata!


Ingredients:

500g of Spaghetti
Olive Oil (as much as you want)
Two cans of whole peeled tomatoes (mash it before adding)
Garlic (as much as you can handle)
1 Onion
2 rashers of streaky bacon chopped (this makes this whole dish non-low fat)
Some anchovies
Chilli flakes (add as much as you like)
Salt
Black Pepper
Basil

Procedure
Cook the spaghetti about a minute less than what the packet states.
Heat up the olive oil in a large pan.
Add the bacon and let it fry for a couple of minutes
Add the onion and cook it till it is nice and translucent.
Then add the garlic, chilli flakes and the anchovies and cook for about a minute.
Add the tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the basil at the end of the cooking process.
Add the pasta into the pan with the sauce. Serve hot with garlic bread.

No comments: