Monday, June 30, 2008

Krispy Kreme Drive

Smoking baffles me to this day. I don’t understand why anyone in their right mind would actually pay good money and buy something they know can only do them harm. Smoking gives one bad breath, stains teeth, and just makes the smoker stink, literally. Those are minor compared to where smoking would eventually take ones health. There are lots of studies sighting smoking as the cause of (certain) cancers. So, why do people still do it? I just don’t get it! Society seems to be moving in the right direction though with the implementation of smoking bans in some public places.

What connection does smoking have with Krispy Kreme you might ask? Well, to me they are both addictions. I don’t smoke but you might say I have an irrational liking for this glazed deep fried dough from Krispy Kreme. I know it’s not good for me but I do not care! I’ve always had a liking for donuts but Krispy Kreme changed that to something akin to a love affair.


Krispy Kreme in the new chocolate themed boxes


Ever since I moved to Australia I was always in the quest for good donuts. There’s Donut King, Mister Donut and a quick appearing/disappearing act of Dunkin’ Donuts. Donut King can be found in most major Australian shopping centres. They serve really good cinnamon donuts. There’s Mister Donut. They only have one branch in all of Queensland that I know of, at Surfer’s Paradise. They serve good donuts but the drive to the Gold Coast to get them is not justifiable. The donuts are good but not great. Then there’s Dunkin’ Donuts! They serve a really good selection of donuts but their appearance in Brisbane was quite short lived. Too many branches too quickly with lots of money spent on advertising (I think…). The company didn’t even last a year.

And then there’s Krispy Kreme! They used to be available only in the southern states which made them a lot more precious. I could only get them whenever I travel to Sydney. I would specifically request a stopover in Sydney (if possible) regardless of where I’m going just to get a box (or 10) of these little tastes of paradise. Yes, I am crazy…for Krispy Kreme! I don’t care if I had to take the red eye flight or delay my arrival an extra couple of hours. I DON’T CARE! A bite of these little clouds of heaven was more than enough to make everything seem alright.

He's making a list, and checking it twice... (Brendan, not his real name)


The best news is they are now open in Queensland! I do not have to wait a month or so to get fresh Krispy Kreme donuts. I can get them everyday if I want to!

The List


My devotion to Krispy Kreme must have rubbed off to some of my work colleagues! You might call it “second hand Krispy Kremeing”. Just last week one new devotee (we’ll name him Brendan to keep his identity a secret) embarked on a Krispy Kreme drive at work. It’s not for charity, silly! He just took it upon himself to get everybody’s orders and go to the nearest Krispy Kreme shop and buy them for his colleagues. My kind of hero!

covert distribution of "the goods" (Peter & Tramy, again not their real names)

my share of "the goods"


BEWARE, “second hand Krispy Kremeing” does not last very long. Soon enough one becomes a definite addict! *evil laughter* BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No comments: