Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Baon – Spaghetti Bolognese with Meatballs

Who doesn’t like spaghetti? We might not agree on what is the best but everyone knows about it making it quite a “universally accepted” dish to have for lunch at work.


Spaghetti is quite popular among Filipinos (albeit, a version catered for the sweet-toothed). Evidence of this is found in all the popular fast food places. I might be wrong but I think it is only in the Philippines where you’ll find spaghetti at McDonald’s and KFC.

Brioche & Coffee for breakfast

I usually don’t make my Bolognese sauce from scratch. Getting home close to 7pm just does not give me enough time to pick tomatoes from the garden and simmer my sauce for hours and still be alive at the end of it. I use bottled pasta sauce (que horror!) and just tweak it to suit my taste. To give the sauce more body I add homemade meat balls.


Brioche w/ Nutella

Easy Meatballs

500g beef mince
1 bread slice torn to pieces then soaked in milk
Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1 egg
Parsley

1. Squeeze the excess milk out of the bread pieces.
2. Combine all the ingredients together
3. Form into your preferred size balls.
4. Cook half-way through by frying in olive oil.







Quick Bolognese Sauce

1 onion chopped
2-3 cloves garlic chopped
1 carrot chopped finely
1 celery stick chopped finely
500g beef mince
1 jar Raguletto Romano Cheese Tomato Pasta Sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
Olive Oil

1. Heat up some olive oil.
2. Sauté the onions until soft.
3. Add the garlic, carrots and celery.
4. Add the beef mince and cook until the meat changes colour.
5. Add the pasta sauce.
6. When the sauce starts bubbling add the meat balls. Simmer until the meat balls are thoroughly cooked. Add salt and pepper to suit your taste.
7. Serve with spaghetti or whatever pasta you prefer.

4 comments:

Ziggy said...

hey matie, I don't know where precisely to leave some random comment haha! thanks for dropping by my site. your bolognese is bouncing good and the meatball recipe with the bread soaked in milk is a lightbulb. i'll be haunting this site. muhuhuhuhahahahaha! happy halloween btw.

The Beancounter said...

Thanks for dropping by Ziggy! I'll keep an eye on your site too...

Tangled Noodle said...

I second the enthusiasm on the meatball recipe! I've only just started making my spaghetti sauce from scratch although I'm still using my trusty standby ready-made jar from Whole Foods. For nostalgic sake, I'm going to make Filipino spaghetti with hot dogs one of these days!

The Beancounter said...

"bread soaked in milk" i find better than ordinary breadcrumbs...and binds the mixture better...

honestly, i've never attempted making classic pinoy spag...maybe i should as my daughters absolutely loved Jollibee's version...