Thursday, November 26, 2009

Baon – Ginataang Hipon at Kalabasa (Prawn & Pumpkin in Coconut Milk)



In the past I never would have dared bring such delights to work. But after my tuyo and curry lunch barely caused a murmur I feel almost invincile and uninhibited to bring whatever i fancy. I figured there couldn’t be anything worse of an assault to your nostrils than dried fish (there's plenty I know but let’s not get side tracked).


The recipe is a rehash of a previous post with a slight variation. I peeled the prawns before cooking for a less fiddly lunch at work.


I also brought some tuna for another layer of flavour to my lunch.


Ginataang Hipon at Kalabasa (Prawns & Pumpkin in Coconut Milk)

1 medium onion chopped
6 slices of ginger
6-8 medium prawns peeled
Pumpkin (I don’t know how to quantify this. 1 regular size wedge, I suppose)
1 bunch mustard greens (mustasa)
1 can coconut milk
Fish sauce or sea salt
Oil for sautéing

1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Sauté the ginger for about a minute then add the onion. Cook until the onion is translucent.
3. Add the prawns and cook for about a minute.
4. Add the pumpkin.
5. Add a bit of fish sauce or sea salt at this stage of the cooking.
6. Pour in the coconut milk and simmer until the pumpkin is done.
7. Add more fish sauce or sea salt if necessary.
8. Add the mustard greens and cook for another minute.
9. Serve with grilled or fried fish.

4 comments:

Julie Ann Events said...

I love anything ginataang! In my family we have a corny saying "When it comes to ginataang, I could eat a TAAN!"

Ziggy said...

where do you work again? i'm planning to crash your lunchbox

The Beancounter said...

Hello there Julie! Where i grew up in the Phils we're surrounded by coconut trees... we do ginataan appetizers to desserts... and i could eat a "taan" to if i don't stop my self...

The Beancounter said...

Brisbane CBD ziggy... see u soon! HAHAHAHAHAHA!