Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Overtime Food plus...

If I can help it I would not spend extra hours at work. I believe that spending overtime is not really a good reflection of one’s performance but rather a sign of inefficiency.

But anyway, due to the changes in my team I had no choice but to stay back to make sure the required reports are produced on time.

One thing I do not forget though regardless of how busy I am is to eat. No surprise there, you say.



But more often than not “overtime food” tends to be on the “junk” side. As this was supposed to be an unplanned meal “anything goes” is the way to go! It is usually limited to day old sandwiches, pizzas or burgers.

Although my office is only a few steps away from one of Brisbane’s café districts I don’t really have time to have a proper sit down meal. The idea is to finish the work and have a meal simultaneously.

McDonald’s was my choice during my recent stint. Although McDonald’s now has got “healthy options” I still went for the “unhealthy” burger choices. But to make sure I get a bit of balance I ordered the McFeast. I’ve noticed that among all the burgers it’s the one with the most salad. I might be wrong but I’m comforted by it!


Much to my delight a colleague of mine has also offered me a Cookies & Cream cupcake! This just made the extra time at work a bit more bearable.


The cupcake was definitely tasty! The fact that is was presented so elegantly added to its goodness. Thanks Miss S for the very lovely treat!

I’ve copied the recipe from Miss S’s book 500 Cupcakes by Fergal Connolly:


Cookies & cream cupcakes

Makes 1 ½ dozen

For the cupcakes
225g unsalted butter
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
1 tbsp baking powder
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
10 crushed cream-filled chocolate cookies (Oreo is probably the best)

For the icing
375g icing sugar, sieved
225g unsalted butter, softened
Pinch of salt
10 chopped cream-filled chocolate cookies (I think the author meant to say Oreos)

1. Preheat the oven to 175°C.
2. Place 18 foil or paper baking cases in muffin tins (Miss S used black & white striped muffin cases from Wheel & Barrow).
3. Combine all the cupcake ingredients, except the cookies, in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk until smooth and pale, about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stir in the cookies.
5. Spoon batter in the cases. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove tins from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Then remove the cupcakes and cool on a wire rack.
7. To make the icing, beat the icing sugar, butter and salt using an electric whisk.
8. Spread the icing onto the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle the chopped cookies on top.
9. Store without icing in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.


No comments: