Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Salt & Pepper Mud Crab ala Beancounter


Over the weekend my dad got hold of these massive mud crabs. Guess who he called first to share the experience? No surprises there. Ahh, the benefits of a foodie’s son… My being a “foodie” I owe a lot to him. He doesn’t refer to himself as such but he definitely is one. We don’t see eye to eye on a lot of things but when it comes to food we almost always agree.



By the way, there’s no exaggeration in the word “massive.” These crabs (claws closed and folded) were longer in length than a Pringles (potato chips) canister. I took several photos comparing the two to give you some perspective but I wasn’t happy with them so I decided not to post any. You just have to trust me.



I would normally head the Singapore style Chilli Crab direction but somehow it did not feel right on that occasion. I wanted to make the most of such excellent produce. Heavy sauce I thought would mask all that fresh crab goodness. So instead, I went the Salt & Pepper route.




I’ve only done this recipe using prawns. Crab is not that much of a deviation I figured.



Because of the size of these mud crabs I only used one in this recipe. It was enough to keep two people happy.



Salt & Pepper Mud Crab ala Beancounter

1 large mud crab cleaned and quartered.

Seasoned flour (cornflour or plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper)

Lots of oil for deep frying

1 onion chopped

2-3 cloves garlic chopped

1 chilli chopped

1 tablespoon salt

½ tablespoon sugar

Freshly cracked black pepper to taste

Spring onions chopped



  1. In a hot pan dry roast the salt, sugar and pepper. This should probably take less than 5 minutes. Take off the heat and set aside.
  2. Heat up lots of oil for deep frying.
  3. Dust the crab pieces in seasoned flour. Deep fry these till cooked. The timing depends on how big the pieces are. Set aside.
  4. In a large wok, heat up a bit of oil. Sauté the onion, garlic and chillies for a couple of minutes.
  5. Throw in the crab piece and toss for a couple more minutes.
  6. Sprinkle your pre-prepared salt/sugar/pepper mixture and toss a bit more. Add the spring onions just before serving.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

looks like an easy recipe. my chili crab is more complicated! i will try this, one of these days. thanks Elmer.

The Beancounter said...

No probs Edik! The recipe indeed is quite simple...the hardest bit was cleaning the crab.