Tuesday, December 21, 2010

2 for 2 - Cakes for Eliyah


Loyalty to a fast food chain is the last thing I want to instil on any of my children. But unless we decide to become hermits there is no way we could get away from the constant bombardment of ads coming from these corporations. So, it came as no surprise to me what Eliyah wanted as her cake design for her birthday.




No, it’s not McDonald’s. It’s also not Burger King. It actually is a Philippine brand that has cleverly infiltrated all areas of mass media. Jollibee, the largest food service company in the Philippines, has gone beyond the more traditional forms of advertising to grab a following.




What hooked Eliyah to Jollibee is not the food (she was barely 1 when we last visited one of their stores). It’s the combination of catchy jingles and a kids TV programme that trumped other more well known kids’ shows. Although it has no presence in Australia (yet!), Jollibee still reaches us through the power of YouTube.



Designing the cake proved to be quite a challenge. For starters, my dear Cake Artiste wasn’t so sure about Jollibee’s colour. Is he red or isn’t he? Then there was the weather. It’s the height of summer downunder. The temperature was a wee bit above what the ganache could handle making it very tricky to work with. It was always on the verge of melting (it eventually did but not before the photos). But, being the Artiste that she is she managed to pull this one from somewhere despite it all.




And then she made cake number 2 for Eliyah’s actual birthday.




Cherry’s inspiration came from a book she was recently given (much appreciated Pael and Ada). This would be her first time to use 3D models she made herself as part of the cake décor. She made intricate little boxes of gifts. To top it all she created a model of a teddy bear. I’ll let the photos speak for her talent.



To my dearest daughter Eliyah, the fruit of my prime, happy 2nd birthday. Be true to your name and grow up with Yahweh as your God. May He bless your every step.









6 comments:

Unknown said...

but still Jollibee is cute. i'm quite amazed she remembered. Pinoy na Pinoy si Eliyah hehe.

The Beancounter said...

there's no arguing that Edik...Jollibee was designed really well...Pinoy na pinoy syempre...her favourite non-Jollibbee jingle is Knorr's "Sinabawang Gulay"... check it out on YouTube...

cusinera said...

I love Jollibee cheeseburgers and jolly hotdogs (kaka-homesick). I love watching Jollibee dances in Youtube, na kaka-adik. And as always the cakes are beautiful, I love the designs and how clean and neat the overall look...she should take orders, hers looks so professionally done compare to the one (brisbane based) I've seen in FB, am being honest...Mrs Beancounter got talent!

The Beancounter said...

Yup, Jollibee has got it's own unique taste... I miss it too... their Champ is so much better than Big Mac...thanks for your kinds comments about the cake... my wife appreciates them...

IzzieK said...

My...my...you are certainly a good photographer. I was also born in the Philippines but had moved and lived in Australia since I was in my 20's. Now I am married and living here in Missouri (USA) and came upon your site while looking for polvoron recipes. You are a good photographer if not a good cook. I certainly enjoy your articles and your cute little girl. I hope you and your wife enjoys Australia. I missed it but I go home there once a year at least as we still have a house there. I had not been back to the Philippines since I left. Now...to try to replicate your polvoron recipe.....

The Beancounter said...

Hello there Elizabeth! Thank you very much for your very kind comments...we certainly enjoy living here. At the moment though we're in the centre of an environmental crisis. There's major flooding all around us but praise be to God we have been spared...